Saturday 21 November 2015

Lazy Girl's Guide to Beauty in the Kitchen: Milk

Hello Readers!

When I had first started out on this blog, it was going to be about, well beauty in your kitchen. But as blogs are, it took on a life of its own. So today, I decided to revisit my original plan for the blog.  

Last week I talked about my lazy home facial. Today, I'll talk about a lazier facial care.



Milk is known to be a great cleanser. Cleopatra was known to bathe in milk. There are two ways to use this as a cleanser. You may choose whatever works for you. 

  1. Take about 2 tablespoons of milk in a bowl and dip a piece of stale bread or roti (if you are from the sub-continent) and rub the bread on your face gently till it crumbles. Wash of with splashes of water.  
  2. Take 2-3 tablespoons of milk in a bowl and add a few drops of lemon juice. wait a minute till the milk begins to curdle and separates a bit. Dip a piece of cotton in this and spread the separated milk on your face. Wait for 2-5 minutes and wash off with a splash of water. 



I have used it both ways with great benefits to my skin. But they work better for me in winters when my skin is drier. If you have very dry skin, you may use full milk or even milk cream.

However, do be careful, since milk has fats, it may trigger a breakout. If it does, stop using it. As for me, I actually get fewer pimples when I use milk as a cleanser. So different people react differently to it. But do give it a try. If it works for you, you may as well forget those expensive cleansers that burn a serious hole in your pocket.

So how does it work?

Water constitutes around 85% of milk and this contributes to its hydrating properties. Like a well-balanced moisturiser, milk not only has water but also fats that provide natural moisturising factors. The protein content, vitamin and minerals contribute to the anti-ageing properties of milk. Milk acts as excellent exfoliator because it contains enzymes like lipase, proteases and lacto-peroxidase that help in shedding of dead skin cells.It can help fast healing of sun-burns and even lighten dark spots and pigmentation. (Reference)

So feel free to add milk to your face packs as well to bump up the benefits to your skin! 

Hope this was helpful...

Think and Stay Beautiful!

Disclaimer: Lazy girl took photos off the net. They are not mine..

No comments:

Post a Comment